Malden Access Television, 145 Pleasant Street, Malden MA 02148
Phone: (781) 321-6400 / Fax (781) 321-7121 / email@example.com
MATV was formally established in 1988 as a non-profit (501c-3) membership based organization. Under the terms of the Malden cable television license, MATV is responsible for the management and operation of the Public, Education and Government Access channels for the City of Malden. Primarily funded by an annual grant from the current cable providers, Comcast and Verizon, MATV is Malden’s Media Center, providing resources, training, and channel time to members of the Malden community.
MATV fosters the Malden community’s free exchange of information, opinions, and interests through access to media technology, outreach, and education; we believe giving everyone a voice makes for a more connected community and vibrant place to live and work.
Since the media center opened its doors in 1989, MATV has become a vibrant community center where people from all sectors of the city come together to express their opinions, share their knowledge, explore their cultures, reveal their talents and encourage citizen participation. MATV believes in freedom of speech, empowerment, diversity and encouraging public discourse that in turn, strengthens democracy and builds community through the use of media.
MATV is governed by a nine-member Board of Directors and it is through the hard work of those members, along with the staff and volunteers, that the mission of Malden Access Television is realized.
- Training workshops are provided for members in all aspects of video and computer-based media production. This includes the use of the digital camcorders, editing, studio production and the utilization of internet resources. A nominal fee is charged for basic, intermediate and advanced classes.
- MATV also provides free access with membership to a wide range of equipment., from portable video equipment, editing suites and television studios to access to our web site and the Internet.
- Programming time on the appropriate channel (Public, Education, or Government) is granted on a first come, first served basis for all video programs produced by community members or programs imported and sponsored by a community member.
- There are special workshops for local youth, non-profit organizations and groups in the art of television production and computer use.
- Free access and use of three community bulletin boards to publicize local events, share information or make general announcements.
- Free Internet access and low cost computer classes at the Cyber Café @ Malden Square .
- MATV Public Access Channel provides over 90 hours per week of local programming.
- MATV Educational Access Channel cablecasts school-related messages; coverage of local school events; educational program produced by NASA, the Department of Education, and other educational entities; and Youth Channel productions created by members of our Teen Drop-in program, youth outreach programs, as well as the Kids Video Adventure Summer Workshop for youngsters ages 8 - 13.
- MATV Government Access Channel shows announcements from the City of Malden, election information, public safety messages, coverage of local government meetings, as well as informational programming provided by elected officials on the local, state and national level.